Tomorrow and Friday we have very exciting north east team days, back once again to the (neither ‘north’ nor ‘east’) Doncaster.
As has become my tradition, I spent this evening baking in preparation. In September I made Fifteens, in November I made tablet (and didn’t blog about it), and in December I made biscuits (which, despite certain people’s disparaging remarks about their decoration, tasted lovely).
It’s now January, and I’ve made (a semi-successful attempt at) lemon drizzle cake, using this recipe, by Tana Ramsay.
I made two, one of which looks lovely, because I wanted to make sure that there was enough for all the gannet-like boys (of which there are many), and because I wanted to try putting poppy seeds in one batch.
The unexpected upside of two cakes has come about due to the fact that the first cake has kind of… sunk… in the middle.
I think that this is a bit of a combination of the fact that I may have cooked for a little less time than I should have, and that I may have drizzled a wee bit too much of the drizzle on the middle of the cake.
Nevertheless, the other one worked out okay, and they both taste & smell pretty darn-tootin’ great.
The other lesson learned is that I really need to buy a sieve, since I had to resort to sifting the flour through a (clean) tea strainer.
In summary: tastes good, looks not-so-good.